Are you in need of a fence that doesn’t cost a fortune? Maybe for your backyard, or around your garden, or maybe it is an entire perimeter fence? Well, I can understand that as I have been there myself. We hunted for months to figure out how to come up with cheap fence ideas as an economical solution for our backyard fence.
Truthfully, we are still hunting for the right garden fence and perimeter fence because I’m not completely thrilled with the options we’ve chosen. So that is why I’m bringing you multiple options for you to take into consideration when looking for cheap fence ideas. Some of these fencing options are DIY while others must be purchased.
However, we are not affiliated with any of these companies so please do your research before purchasing any fencing and realize you purchase at your own risk.
With that in mind, here are the fencing designs:
1. 4-Rail Horse Fence
This 4-rail horse fence can be built from scratch. It comes with a great tutorial to walk you through each step of the process.
However, the great thing about this fence is that it is pretty to look at, would work well with most livestock, and should be much less expensive considering you are building it yourself.
2. Split Rail Fence with Mesh
This fencing option is one that should serve you well as a dog fence or a perimeter fence. I say that because the mesh makes it nearly impossible for dogs to get out.
However, it also makes it extremely difficult for predators to get in. So this fence is not only a nice-looking option but it is also very functional as well.
3. The DIY Garden Fence
Everyone could always use a little extra protection around their garden area. Why not save yourself some money and build a creative DIY garden fence that is quite appealing visually?
Well, by following this tutorial you can have a beautiful fence that will protect your garden from lots of different predators. It can also do all of this without requiring a large budget as well.
4. Goat Proof Fence
Do you have goats? I love mine, but they can be quite the escape artists. This means, having a fence that is built to keep them where you want them to be is an awesome investment.
So this fence is designed with your goat friends in mind. Plus, the tutorial is thorough which should help you as you try to build this fence.
Here’s another article you might want to read about building a goat-proof fence:
5. The Hog Wire Privacy Fence
If you’d like to have a privacy fence around your property or backyard then you might want to consider a fence like this.
If you are a handy builder, you could probably figure out how to DIY it. I like it because it is visually appealing, and it offers privacy with a little openness as well.
With a little digging around we found this video from Geoff, who will show you how to create a hog wire fence:
6. The Chain Link Design
This is another fence design that would be easy enough to figure out. Though it doesn’t come with a tutorial, if you are handy, you should be able to figure it out quickly.
So I like this fence design because of how sturdy yet decorative it is. The chain link would make for great protection around the perimeter of your property. However, the wooden posts add a little décor to it.
7. Wood Frame Wire Fence
We actually have this fence for our backyard. It works very well and looks really nice too. This fence is great for keeping dogs and small livestock in certain areas.
However, it is also great because it is easy enough to create. Plus, ours has proven itself sturdy for the past 6 years.
More wood frame wire fence ideas:
8. The Veggie Fence
This is another design for a vegetable garden fence. It is gorgeous in appearance. However, it also looks to be very sturdy as well.
So if you need a gorgeous garden fence design, then consider building this one or having a company install it for you. This one is actually installed by a company so it doesn’t come with a tutorial. However, you could use it as inspiration to create your own design.
9. The Pallet Fence
We actually wrote an article almost a year ago on how to create a fence out of pallets for almost no money.
So if you are on a tight budget, then consider building a fence (for whatever purpose) out of pallets. It is simple enough to do, and we provide a great tutorial for you as well.
Build this Fence
10. The Prefab Fence
Let’s say you’d like a perimeter fence, but you aren’t confident in building your own. Well, here are a few prefab options.
Now, we are not affiliated with this company in any way so be sure to do your own research. But I did like how they took a prefab option and covered it in wire so it would make a great perimeter fence that nothing could get through.
More good-looking yet affordable prefab fence ideas:
11. Marble Fence
Just because you don’t have a big budget to spend on a spectacular fence doesn’t mean it can’t glisten with beauty. A simple hack to your simple fence is hidden away in your old drawers.
Get out those marbles that have been passively waiting their time to shine and drill them into your boring but functional fence. It’s a great way to add a little magic to your home.
12. The ‘Unique’ DIY Fence
This fence is beautiful and certainly is different. It is horizontal versus the usual vertical design. Plus, this fence is also a DIY option.
So if you are unsure about taking on a DIY project, then check out the provided tutorial. See if it something that you’d like to take on.
13. 9 DIY Fence Options
This tutorial gives you nine different DIY options for the perfect backyard and perimeter fences. So if you’d like to take on a DIY project for your fencing need, then you might want to browse these tutorials.
However, these fencing options are each unique. Some are more simple, while others are more modern options.
14. The Cattle Panel Fencing
This fence idea is very similar to another one I had shown earlier. It has wooden posts but the center is constructed of cattle paneling.
Even though this is an option to purchase, it could also be used to inspire you in creating your own backyard, garden, or perimeter fence.
15. 12 Pallet Fences
If you like to work with pallets, then this post should be very helpful to you. The reason is that it gives you 12 different designs to use for pallet fences.
So whether you need a pallet perimeter fence or a pallet picket fence, you could potentially find what you’re looking for here.
16. The Modern Privacy Fence
If you are like me and want a lot of privacy around your property, then you might find this a nice decorative option for a perimeter fence.
However, if you would just like to have a privacy fence around your backyard, then this could be a nice option as well.
17. 7 Inexpensive Fence Ideas
This post has seven different pictures of inexpensive fence ideas. However, they are not accompanied by tutorials.
So you’ll have to have some building experience if you think you’d like to recreate some of the ideas. But at the very least, if you have to hire it done, you could at least provide a visual of what you want.
18. Basic Mesh Fence
This is a very inexpensive fencing option. It requires T-posts and mesh wire fencing. We actually used this type of fence at my mother-in-law’s home when she got a dog.
In our experience, it was easy enough to install and held up pretty well considering the cost. It did what she needed it to do. So this might be a good option if you are looking to keep your small dogs in an area and are working on a tight budget.
19. The Chicken Wire Garden Fence
This is another option that doesn’t come with a tutorial of any sort, but it is beautiful and could be simple enough to figure out with the right amount of foreknowledge.
So if you like the idea of using reclaimed wood and chicken wire to protect your garden area, then you might want to give this idea some consideration.
20. The Rustic Garden Fence
This garden fence is probably one of my favorites. The reason is that I love anything that looks rustic, sturdy, but still has that homestead feel to it.
So if you like the same rustic touch, then you might want to give this fence a glance. Plus, it comes with a handy DIY tutorial.
21. The Pallet Garden Fence
This video shows you how to use reclaimed pallets to make a very inexpensive fence. Pallets are usually free and easy to find.
Plus, they are also very sturdy for building material. So if you are able to come across enough of them, they should create a very durable garden fence.
22. The Galvanized Perimeter Fence
I’m a huge fan of all things galvanized. I have galvanized shower walls, I decorate with galvanized tubs, and I’m actually in the process of installing a galvanized roof.
So it should come as no surprise that I think that this would make a great perimeter or privacy fence. It would obviously provide a lot of privacy but also be rather durable because galvanized products don’t usually rust.
23. 5 Inexpensive DIY Fence Options
This site doesn’t actually offer pictures of what their fences end up looking like. However, they do give you ideas of cheap building materials that you can use to design and build your own privacy fence.
So any of these materials should work for your need whether it be a privacy fence, perimeter fence, or garden fence. The main materials that stuck out to me were lattice and using old antique doors. If you upcycle enough, your fence could be very inexpensive.
24. Wattle Fencing
There is a couple down the street from us that uses wattle fencing to keep their goats in the pasture. I’ve always been fascinated by it and have honestly considered placing it around my garden.
However, there is one problem. I was never certain how to create it. It is obviously inexpensive as it is just made from sticks. But this tutorial should help you along if you like wattle fencing too.
25. The Log Fence
Let’s say you are in desperate need of a fence but you are on a really tight budget. Well, this fence could be just what you’ve been searching for.
So they basically take big wood logs and stack them around the pastures or areas that they need to be fenced in. It is truly that simple. You’ll just have to be sure to make it tall and sturdy enough that nothing can jump over it or knock it down.
The original site no longer has this image, but you don’t need a tutorial for this – just get stacking!
26. The Modern Wattle Fence
I’ve already shared how much I like wattle fencing. Well, I like this design of wattle fencing too because it is more modern.
So if you aren’t into the ‘old school’ version of wattle fencing, then you might want to give this option a try. You could make it as large of a section of fencing or small as you desired.
27. Bamboo Fence
Wait! Don’t take your old fence down. Sure, maybe it’s become a bit of an eyesore, but it’s still doing the job. So, instead of taking it down and starting from scratch, why not just cover it up?
You can buy really cheap bamboo fencing online and it looks great when added onto an already existing fence. In this example, they have painted the bamboo fencing white which has given it a glamorous bohemian look that is absolutely dreamy.
28. Privacy Screen Fence
Maybe you just need to put a fence up in a specific spot and don’t want to go all out and fence your whole yard. You could always resort to an inexpensive privacy screen.
This is a great example of how you can save yourself a buck by simply fencing the area where you would like the most privacy. Check out how they have added planter boxes at the base so that it becomes a lovely place to look.
29. Planter Fence
If you don’t have a lot of room in your backyard and are worried about cutting off that extra needed gardening space then here is an idea for you.
Create a vertical garden on your horizontal planked fence. This will not only add beauty to an otherwise average fence but it will also give you that extra gardening space. Or, if you already have a fence in place, consider giving it a new coat of paint and adding the planters. That’s one way to save some money.
30. Unique Fence
I adore this one-of-a-kind fence idea. This is the kind of fence that your neighbors won’t complain about since it will look great from their side too.
In order to keep this project cheap and rustic, it’s definitely recommended that you use recycled materials. You can look for old windows at a local thrift store or ask around your neighbors.
Well, that is all 30 inspiring fencing options we have for you. Some are more budget-friendly than others, while others are easier to install or build. Regardless of what you choose, we hope that these options have helped inspire you in your own fence building pursuits.
Was this article helpful?
What went wrong?
This article contains incorrect information
This article does not have the information I am looking for
How can we improve it?
We appreciate your helpful feedback!
Your answer will be used to improve our content. The more feedback you give us, the better our pages can be.
Follow us on social media:
Insights, advice, suggestions, feedback and comments from experts
Based on the information provided in the article, here is a breakdown of the different fence designs and options mentioned:
4-Rail Horse Fence
- This fence design is suitable for livestock and can be built from scratch.
- It is visually appealing and cost-effective when built by yourself.
Split Rail Fence with Mesh
- This fence design is ideal for dog owners or as a perimeter fence.
- The mesh makes it difficult for dogs to get out and predators to get in.
DIY Garden Fence
- This fence design is specifically for protecting a garden area.
- It is visually appealing and can be built on a budget.
Goat Proof Fence
- This fence design is built to keep goats contained.
- The tutorial provides guidance on building a sturdy fence for goats.
Hog Wire Privacy Fence
- This fence design offers privacy while still allowing some openness.
- It can be a DIY project for those with building skills.
Chain Link Design
- This fence design combines the sturdiness of chain link with decorative wooden posts.
- It is suitable for perimeter protection.
Wood Frame Wire Fence
- This fence design is great for keeping dogs and small livestock in certain areas.
- It is easy to create and has proven to be sturdy.
- This fence design is specifically for protecting vegetable gardens.
- It is visually appealing and sturdy.
- This fence design utilizes reclaimed pallets and is cost-effective.
- It is a DIY project that provides a durable garden fence.
- This fence design is a prefab option that can be covered with wire for added protection.
- It is suitable for perimeter fencing.
- This fence design involves drilling marbles into an existing fence for added visual appeal.
Unique DIY Fence
- This fence design is unique and features a horizontal design.
- It is a DIY option with a provided tutorial.
9 DIY Fence Options
- This tutorial offers nine different DIY options for backyard and perimeter fences.
- The designs range from simple to modern.
Cattle Panel Fencing
- This fence design features wooden posts and cattle paneling in the center.
- It can be purchased or used as inspiration for a DIY project.
12 Pallet Fences
- This post provides 12 different designs for pallet fences.
- It offers options for perimeter and picket fences.
Modern Privacy Fence
- This fence design is a decorative option for privacy or perimeter fencing.
- It can be customized to fit specific needs.
7 Inexpensive Fence Ideas
- This post showcases seven pictures of inexpensive fence ideas without accompanying tutorials.
- It can serve as inspiration for visualizing desired fence designs.
Basic Mesh Fence
- This fence design is inexpensive and requires T-posts and mesh wire fencing.
- It is suitable for small dogs and tight budgets.
Chicken Wire Garden Fence
- This fence design utilizes reclaimed wood and chicken wire for garden protection.
- It is visually appealing and can be figured out with some foreknowledge.
Rustic Garden Fence
- This fence design has a rustic and sturdy appearance.
- It comes with a DIY tutorial.
Pallet Garden Fence
- This video tutorial demonstrates how to create an inexpensive fence using reclaimed pallets.
- Pallets are sturdy and cost-effective building materials.
Galvanized Perimeter Fence
- This fence design utilizes galvanized materials for durability and privacy.
- It is suitable for perimeter fencing.
5 Inexpensive DIY Fence Options
- This site offers ideas for cheap building materials to create privacy, perimeter, or garden fences.
- Lattice and old antique doors are mentioned as potential materials.
- This fence design is made from sticks and is inexpensive.
- A tutorial is provided for creating wattle fencing.
- This fence design involves stacking big wood logs for a budget-friendly option.
- It is simple and effective.
Modern Wattle Fence
- This fence design is a more modern version of wattle fencing.
- It can be customized to desired size and appearance.
- This fence design involves covering an existing fence with bamboo fencing.
- It is a cost-effective way to improve the appearance of an old fence.
Privacy Screen Fence
- This fence design is a simple and inexpensive way to create privacy in a specific area.
- Planter boxes can be added for aesthetic appeal.
- This fence design incorporates vertical gardening on a horizontal planked fence.
- It maximizes gardening space and adds beauty to the fence.
- This fence design is one-of-a-kind and visually appealing.
- It can be created using recycled materials.
Please note that the information provided is based on the content of the article and search results.